Philadelphia Dangerous Drugs Lawyer
While the purpose of any pharmaceutical drug is to improve health and well-being, there are many drugs that produce severe side effects, which may be even more detrimental to a person’s health than the condition being treated. The companies that manufacture pharmaceuticals, as well as the pharmacists and physicians that prescribe them, have a legal and ethical obligation to make sure that the drugs they are giving patients are safe. A victim of an unsafe pharmaceutical drug who is injured as a result of the use of a drug may be entitled to compensation for damages in a personal injury lawsuit and for this, you will need an experienced Philadelphia dangerous drug lawyer. In cases with large numbers of people being harmed by taking a certain pharmaceutical drug, a class action law suit may be brought against the manufacturer of the drug.
At the Philadelphia personal injury law firm of Hill & Associates, our attorneys have the knowledge and experience to represent you when your health has been damaged by an unsafe pharmaceutical drug. With a solid record of getting victims generous compensation in personal injury cases, Leonard K. Hill and his team will fight to make you or your loved one whole again after you’ve suffered from pharmaceutical drug-related injuries.
Why Some Pharmaceuticals Are Unsafe
These are some of the common reasons that unsafe drugs make it onto the market:
- Defects in manufacturing
- Inadequate or insufficient testing
- Falsified study results
- Failure of manufacturer to post warnings of potential side effects, interactions, and recall notices by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Pharmaceutical representatives promoting off-label prescribing by doctors
When duty is breached and a patient suffers as a result, the responsible doctor, hospital, or other healthcare provider may be liable for the patient’s resulting damages. As accomplished Philadelphia dangerous drug lawyers, we are known for our results-oriented approach and for the caring, personal attention we give each and every one of our clients.
Common Drugs Known to Be Unsafe
These are just a few of the many drugs that are known to cause harm in some patients:
- Actos: a medicine used in the treatment of diabetes which has been found to cause congestive heart failure and/or worsen existing heart conditions.
- Fosamax: used in the treatment of osteoporosis and certain other bone conditions. Ironically, this drug has been found to cause damage to bone tissue. The American Association of Endodontics reported, in 2006, that the class of drugs that includes Fosamax can cause decaying of the jaw bones, also known as osteonecrosis. Osteonecrosis can cause significant pain the jaw area, infection, and even disfigurement. Furthermore, research suggests that women who take this type of drug, are more likely than non-users to develop brittle bones, which can lead to fractures throughout the body.
- NuvaRing: a birth control medication that is associated with increased risks of heart and circulatory conditions. Research also suggests that NuvaRing increases the risk of thrombosis in the brain, legs, heart, and lungs which can lead to heart attack or stroke. Other potential complications include jaundice, liver tumors, and gallstones.
- SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors): a class of drugs used to treat major depressive disorders. The brand names of this class of drug include Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Lexapro, Effexor, and Paxil. This medicine works by changing the levels of certain chemicals in the brain. SSRIs have been associated with major birth defects in babies when their mothers take these drugs while pregnant. Other research suggests that this class of drugs can cause the fetus to have high blood pressure while it is developing, which can cause severe heart and lung problems. Other known side effects in infants include oral cleft, clubfoot, and possibly autism. Some patients using these drugs have experienced violent or psychotic episodes.
- Topamax: a drug used to treat epilepsy and migraine headaches. It has been associated with birth defects, osteoporosis, glaucoma, and kidney stones.
- Painkillers: drugs such as hydrocodone, oxycodone, and Percocet have a high potential for abuse and are a leading cause of death, especially among young people in the United States.
It is important for us as Philadelphia dangerous drug attorneys to educate mistreated patients and their families who may have unknowingly survived these medical errors only to be left with serious damages to their health much later on.
Dangerous Drug Lawyers in Philadelphia
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury as a result of taking any prescription medication, the compassionate attorneys at Hill & Associates are available to help. We are deeply committed to protecting the public from dangerous and harmful drugs and making greedy companies pay. Call our office at (215) 567-7600 or contact us online today for an initial free legal consultation. Defective drug cases are signed on a contingency fee basis, so you never pay expenses or legal fees unless we win a financial recovery for you.